Sunday, November 7, 2010

Shubh Deepavali!

I love Diwali....the lights, the colours, the air of festivity!

I hate the sounds, the crackers, the pollution, the futility of it all!

I have never burst crackers after we had a slide show in school when I was in 2nd grade on the poor lives of the children of Sivakasi. It moved me to tears and I vowed never again to light another cracker in my life and I never did.

Diwali is the festival of lights. It all about ringing in the new. Its about happiness and spreading cheer.

I love the whole early morning bathing ritual and doing the rounds of all the temples in Matunga(suburb) in Mumbai which is also known as little Madras.

I love the process of putting up fairy lights. I love painting dozens of diyas in vagaries of colours and styles. It is such a relaxing and fun exercise.

I am OCD about cleanliness. So, Diwali is a legitimate excuse to spring clean and how. I love lighting aroma scented candles in sparkling clean and prettily lit up house!

It has lit up my face with a grin so huge.I'm loving it!

Shubh Deepavali folks!

3 comments:

  1. I love this day for the sweets, meeting people, dresses people wear and flaunt, and the rangoli that adorns every house.

    My son does not burst crackers for the same reasons that you have written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Iyer Sir: Oh yes...I completely skipped the new dresses flaunting bit! That just adds to the whole excitement, doesn't it?.Glad to know there are others who believe in the same cause. Thanks for your valuable feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey i just did this lovely tag and would love to pass it on to you..

    Visit :
    http://expressionpatterns.blogspot.com/2011/01/all-about-moi.html

    ReplyDelete